In the previous chapter, we reviewed what Docker is and how to set up a Docker Environment. Now, let’s understand more about where TestProject comes into the world of Docker, and how can we benefit from TestProject Agents in Docker containers! 💪🐳
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Docker & Docker Desktop
- You’re here → Introduction to TestProject and TestProject Agent in Docker
- Running TestProject Agent inside Docker Container
- Why Do I Need TestProject Agents Running Inside Docker Containers?
- Setting up TestProject Agent in Docker
- TestProject in Docker Reports and Dashboards
- [Webinar Recording] Accelerate Your Test Automation using TestProject & Docker
Introduction to TestProject and TestProject Agent in Docker
TestProject is fully equipped with all the features every test automation engineer needs, and provides a complete toolchain around Appium and Selenium frameworks and from built-in reports to distributed execution capabilities, recording capabilities, coding capabilities and much more – You’ve got everything you need! Even TestProject Agents in Docker! 🐳✨
So, if you’re looking for a $0 cloud-based, SaaS test automation development framework designed for your agile team, TestProject is the right choice for you. TestProject is a community-powered end-to-end test automation platform for web, mobile (Android & iOS) apps as well as API testing. It is an automation platform that aims to create a powerful and collaborative environment for the entire test automation community, without any barriers, and completely free of cost! It is built on top of industry standard open source tools (Selenium & Appium), supports all major operating systems, and ensures quality with speed using advanced built-in recording capabilities (that is very simple to use even for people who do not have any coding skills or previous tool knowledge), addons, reports and analytics dashboards, powerful SDK for Java/C#, and seamlessly enables to integrate within your CI/CD workflow!
100% Free Automation Platform The Testing Community Loves!
In order to get started, you will need to do only 2 things:
- Sign up and get your free account: https://app.testproject.io/signup/
- Download the TestProject Agent that takes care of all the heavy lifting for you!
You do not need to worry about building and maintaining a test framework – TestProject already bundled up all the drivers and dependencies you need, so you can go right ahead and start!
TestProject Agent is a cross-platform local desktop automation component that communicates with TestProject’s cloud testing repository and is responsible for local test execution. It is a single executable/desktop component that needs to be installed and registered with your account. This Agent removes all the complexity of installing and managing drivers required for Selenium and Appium. Basically, the TestProject agent is a powerful wrapper for Selenium and Appium and with one simple install you instantly have access to all browsers and connected devices on the machine you install it on.
You can download the TestProject Agent for all operating systems (Windows, Linux & macOS) and for Docker.
Once you have successfully registered your TestProject Agent, you will see the screen below:
By now, you should be able to see your Agent details in your “Agents” section. You can also click on the Agent to see detailed information as shown below:
TestProject’s architecture is built out of 2 main components (as also seen in the diagram below):
- Cloud repository – Cloud-based app enabling to share and collaborate on your test automation from anywhere around the world! You can share tests, addons, elements, share reports, manage projects and tests, share Selenium test artifacts (C# or Java) and invite teammates to collaborate on EVERYTHING!
- TestProject Agent – The TestProject Agent, as described above, that takes care of all the heavy lifting for you, allowing easy deployment and running tests anywhere.
Now that we are all set and ready – Let’s create our first test!
Click on “New Test” being displayed on the top menu of TestProject and select test type as “Web”.
Supply name and description as shown below, for your project and test:
For this demo, I supplied https://collabnix.com as a website URL. Click on the “Record” option to start the recording.
Once you click on “Start Testing”, a new browser instance will open and keep the existing browser open.
Go ahead and try to browse through the website. The Smart test recorder will record your activity which you can replay at a later point of time.
That’s it! We’ve completed our first simple web recorded test with TestProject! Of course, we can make the test more complex by adding validations, parameters for Data-Driven testing, incorporating coded tests as well as Addons. For more info – Check out the official TestProject docs and TestProject blog tutorials.
In our next chapter, we will see how to run a TestProject agent using Docker containers.
👉🐳 Go ahead to the next chapter!